On writer’s block and making time for the things you love.

I have writer’s block.

I know, color you surprised. This has happened before, but this time is a little different. Yes, I don’t know what to write about, which is essentially one of the definitions of writer’s block, but I can’t seem to distinguish whether it is, in fact, writer’s block, or if I’ve just been too busy to actually form a cohesive thought.

Between work and traveling and family events and coordinating things for the Holidays and a social life and reorganizing and cleaning things, I l.i.t.e.r.a.l.l.y. feel like I’ve been under a rock.

I haven’t even been able to keep up with the Internet.

I got this cool new app on my iPad called Read It Later so I can actually attempt to catch up on all the sites and articles that I come across throughout the day but can’t spare a moment to read through. But by the time I get into bed and open up my iPad to begin reading, I’m already asleep. My poor boyfriend.

I think the strangest thing is that writing is the only item on my plate right now that’s giving me anxiety. I feel like I have everything under control and that most facets of my life are right where they should be for the first time in a while. But that fact that I’m not writing, I’m not spending time on my blog or on my personal journal, distresses me.

There isn’t pressure to write for you per se. Don’t get me wrong, I love writing for all of you, but when I write, I really write for me. So it’s my own pressure eating away at me, making my heart race and force a blog post out or make myself feel guilty and overwhelmed when I legitimately haven’t had the time.

That’s where I come in to beat myself up.

I’ve always said that you make time for the things you love. And I believe it. One hundred percent. That’s why relationships work (or fail). That’s why people are dedicated to charitable events or hobbies, etc. I haven’t been making time for myself to write, and I regret that.

I can’t promise that this will change, but my awareness of it is step one, I suppose. Even if I can just post a stream of conscious like this one once a week, I’ll be happy ;)

How do you make time for the things you love when you’re busy?

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

suki October 25, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I sleep less. :/ I’ll update when I’ve found a healthy way to fit it all.

Lauren October 25, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Hmm…sleeping less is probably not the best option….. Keep me posted! :)

Adam Jackson October 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm
Lauren October 25, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Hm. That’s not a bad resource! Still doesn’t answer the “making time” question… But I know, I know, that’s really up to me, huh.

Kaci Johanna October 26, 2011 at 7:27 pm

… I don’t! Ha. When you figure it out, let me know. ;)

Lauren October 27, 2011 at 10:33 am

I will :)

Stacey October 27, 2011 at 9:35 am

I have a bit of writer’s block as well. Or is it more accurate to refer to it as “blogger’s block?” I certainly don’t consider myself to be a writer, but I’m rambling. I’m just as guilty as you. There are plenty of things I love that I haven’t been making time for, although time is one item I have an abundance of, being unemployed and all. I think sometimes we simply choose to focus on the things that must be done, as opposed to the things that we’d prefer to do. But I need to do the same thing – find time to do the things I love to do.

Lauren October 27, 2011 at 10:35 am

You definitely have an interesting point of view — you have the time, but you’re still not feeling fulfilled in what you’re accomplishing. I think you’re totally right in saying that we focus on the things that NEED to be done and not always the things we WANT to do. How do you think we can turn those wants into needs without feeling obligated? That is the question!

Gemma November 4, 2011 at 11:45 am

I know we talked about this already, but for me it’s gotten to the point where I’m seeking out topics or projects to help structure my blog posts. I found this nifty website to provide prompts: http://www.creativity-portal.com/prompts/imagination.prompt.html. HA. I keep clicking to see what the site suggests but have yet to find anything that excites me.

I don’t know when I became such a high-maintenance blogger. :P

Lauren November 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Oooh! I like that link! That’s a good idea. I always work better with prompts, but then again, I feel a little less creative. Everyone always says to try and write every day. Slow down, turn off your computer, and write… Easier said than done, huh? :)